Thursday, September 27, 2012

I've read that in some book, but I don't remember where.

As I mentioned in my opening post, I will, God willing, be operating this blog around a set of reading lists organized by the respective genres novels, plays, biographies, philosophies, histories and sciences.

Bauer recommends starting with novels and never one to argue over having dessert before the meal I will follow her naughty example of starting with the sweets. I don't much hold for poetry so I've included "the Epics" in my list of novels. In essence they are all stories, so I think they belong on this list. Any titles that I add to her original list will be bolded, any that I don't much fancy reading struck out. (Ms. Willing, please excuse my not underlining the titles. I don't believe the Crown will fall if I'm lazy just this once!)

Epic of Gilgamesh
The Iliad and The Odyssey

Beowulf
The Mabinogion

Gwain and the Green Knight
Utopia
Don Quixote
The Pilgrim's Progress
The Arabian Nights
Gulliver's Travels
Frankenstein
Lady Susan
Pride and Prejudice
Northanger Abbey
Sense and Sensibility
Mansfield Park
Emma
Persuasion 
Oliver Twist
David Copperfield 
Bleak House
The Pickwick Papers
Hard Times
A Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations 
Last of the Mohicans
The Fall of the House of Usher
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Vanity Fair 
The Scarlet Letter
Moby-Dick or, the Whale
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Through the Looking-Glass 
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Madame Bovary
Crime and Punishment
War and Peace
Anna Karenina
The Return of the Native
The Portrait of a Lady
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Red Badge of Courage
Heart of Darkness
The House of Mirth
The Great Gatsby
Mrs. Dalloway
The Trial
The Silmarillion
The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
Native Son
The Stranger
1984
Invisible Man
Seize the Day
One Hundred Years of Solitude
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
Song of Solomon
Beloved
White Noise
Possession

No comments:

Post a Comment